Identify the people and work that can be shared between sub-enterprises.
For the whole Project Based Enterprise (PBE) to succeed, all of its sub-enterprises must succeed. For this to happen, communication and cooperation are essential.
RESRODEL provides PBEs with the visibility to identify people and work that can be shared between sub-enterprises. In any PBE, the allocation of people to work is fundamental to efficiency and avoidance of waste. Without all the information about people and work, it’s hard to be sure everyone has work all the time. This is particularly true for large PBEs, with multiple sub-enterprises, where simultaneous underutilization and overutilization of people with the same role happens regularly.
Cooperation between sub-enterprise can be hampered by the challenge of information exchange, and also by culture. RESRODEL enhances cooperation by providing centralised information, with aggregated analysis, that is available for everyone to see.
Enterprises within an enterprise, that are responsible for the own pool of people, and work.
- Business Units
- Function groups
RESRODEL is the ‘resource role model’ solution that embodies the new theorem we call Effort Management. Created specifically for PBEs, RESRODEL facilitates better Enterprise Outcomes from better sub-enterprise outcomes.
Imagine a PBE has 100 specialist engineers. This company has two international offices. Each employ 50 engineers. The office managers talk infrequently but have on occasion transferred engineers between offices when it's convenient.
A month from now, there is Demand for 100 engineers across the company, which is perfect. But this is only theory, because no one knows these numbers. This company doesn’t centrally aggregate its people numbers, instead it relies on the intuitive judgement of its office managers. But how can office managers see the future if they don’t have all the numbers, or identify people and work that could be shared between the offices?
When the office managers last spoke, neither offered or requested people. One knew work was getting a little busier, the other was looking forward to a slowing down a little. But the future is foggy and plans need to change quickly. It turns out the busier office had underestimated the work, and the slower office had expected to win work.
A month later, everyone is surprised that neither office is performing well. One is suffering from having too few people and the other from having too many.
The Global COO is aware:
- Utilisation has falling
- Project deliverables are late, of poor quality, and clients are being lost
- People have resigned from being worked too hard in one office, yet contractors were brought into the other office
- One office now needs to downsize, the other needs to grow
- Transfer of work and people is being arranged
Subsequent analysis reveals that, as a whole, the company had just enough people. It just hadn’t arranged the sharing of people and work - before it was too late.
If only the company had identified the opportunity to transfer people and/or work earlier.
The above scenario might be a little extreme and, fortunately, does not occur regularly. However, simultaneous underutilization and overutilization in different sub-enterprises is very common, and an unnecessary waste.
Problems, or missed opportunities to do better, associated with the sharing of work and people between sub-enterprises include:
- Quickly understanding the future status of other sub-enterprises when looking for opportunities to share work or people
- Difficulty identifying work and people, across the whole PBE, that have not been allocated.
- Coordinating the exchange or collation of information between sub-enterprises
- The whole PBE – Actual outcomes fail to achieve their potential
- Being certain about the amount of upcoming work
- Poor cooperation between sub-enterprises
- Poor Enterprise Outcomes:
- In one sub-enterprise - Poor project delivery
- In other sub-enterprises - Poor efficiency and financial performance from waste
RESRODEL makes light work of facilitating the sharing of work and people. Uniquely, it’s Allocation module and analysis tools help the PBE:
- Easily find opportunities to share work and people. Identify sub-enterprises unable to deliver their work, or with low utilisation
- Easily identify specific people and work that can be shared by finding individuals and projects, across the entire PBE, that have not yet been allocated
- Enhance coordination and cooperation between sub-enterprises with visible information by easily updating people and work data and using RESRODEL’s decision ready analysis
- Be confident about the amount of upcoming work by using RESRODEL’s Demand estimation module. This tallies all Demand for sub-enterprises and the whole PBE.
- Get better Enterprise Outcomes from better sub-enterprise outcomes by creating the certainty that sub-enterprises have:
- enough people to do deliver projects
- enough work to optimise utilisation and financial performance